22nd Budweiser ALL-MICRONESIA Tournament - September 2014


How the All-Micronesia Tournament Got Started

The idea of the All-Micronesia fishing tournament was first conceived in late 1992 at a conference of Pacific countries on Saipan. While conferees from several different areas were socializing one evening, the talk turned to fishing. After several stories, it was agreed that there is probably no other area in the world with as much basic skill in fishing and as much different fishing methods as have been practiced traditionally in Micronesia.

With the growing interest in Micronesia as a sport fishing destination, it was acknowledged that the time had come to hold a regional tournament.

One of the people in that group happened to be Billy Roberts, former President of the Marshalls Billfish Club. The others knew that the club had won the Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament (HIBT), has competed in Japan, and Fiji, and conducts many tournaments of its own every year so it seemed natural to have Majuro host the All-Micronesia tournament.

Billy presented the idea to the club's board of directors in early 1993 and the board agreed to try to organize such an event. The two major objectives of the tournament would be to promote and publicize sportfishing in Micronesia and to gather fishermen together from throughout the region to share their knowledge and skills while enjoying a good time.

With major sponsorship from Mobil Oil Micronesia, the inaugural event was held in October 1993 with ten teams participating.

Jakie Jacobs led the host club's Team #2 to first place in both the billfish category and overall with a 343 lb. Pacific Blue Marlin caught on the morning of the second day and brought back to dock shortly before the weather changed for the worse. Landed with Lakjohn Lakjohn, Ian Pickering and Alan Richards, it was the only billfish of the tournament.

Mobil's team had the second biggest fish overall, a 29 lb. wahoo that won the first place trophy for its category. That fish was caught on the first day by angler Carmen Camerato and when team captain Scott Shular reeled in another wahoo the next day, the Mobil team had the distinction of being the only one to weigh in fish on both days of the 1993 event.

Pohnpei Fishing Club took second and third place honors in the wahoo category and first place in the barracuda class for a total of three trophies. Team captain Bob Segal and anglers John Sonden, Noel Boylan and Pooi Efai picked up all three fish on the second day of fishing. Pepe Ong accompanied the team and helped with the organization of the tournament on the dock.